Monday, September 20, 2010

New direction

So while I thought, and do still think, my other questions were very interesting, I am very excited about this one. This one, I can really feel good about sinking my teeth into. Perhaps my training in public administration has conditioned me towards innovation. Perhaps my 6 summers framing helped me develope a need to see results (changes in behavior being the easiest to see, and thus for me, appreciate). Perhaps my degree in sociology helps me appreciate juvinile offender issues. Either way, I'd like to address what is a serious issue in high schools. Detentions do not work. Repeat offenders comprise the vast majority of detention recipients. I would like to try an innovative approach to detentions involving micro service projects. Specifically my question is. What are the effects micro-service projects (replacing detentions) on repeat offenders' attitudes and behaviors. I will measure their attitudes towards authority (specifically the person who issued the detention) and rules. I will also measure their willingness to engage in service in the community (and other compassion scales). Obviously I'll look at recidivism rates. The really neat thing is I'll be able to look at teacher/administrator perceptions towards this as well and answer revealing questions such as their attitudes (timeone, timetwo) students who after detention, perceptions of justice and effectiveness, and willingess to experiment with innovative strategies of reducing repeat offender behavior. I believe the Pepsirefresh project has the greatest flexibility and has the greatest likelihood of granting my proposal. I will pursue that lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment